[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 04:15:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:31:44 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > Yes, but hat is done with a window manger hack, normal X apps can't do
> > that.
>
> Are you sure this is the case? There are numerous applications that support
> swallowing. Some of them are quite small.
> Right now I can't think of one though, I'll do some checking.

OK, well, more precicely, the ones I looked at (FVWM and Gnome-whatsit IIRC)
used window manager hacks.

> We talked about this some years ago I remember doing some checking back then,
> the ones that I have seen are derived from WindowMakers dockapps.
> These apps export small bitmaps as windows, I think the approach is valid for
> us to.

Not really, as the bitmap will be ~600 pixels wide and is likely to
contain constantly moving meters, I can image that being quite a load.

Xnest seems like a better option really. It just needs somone who
understands X better than me to look at it.

- Steve