[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Jan 31 05:37:01 UTC 2003

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:31:44 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
>>>Yes, but hat is done with a window manger hack, normal X apps can't do
>>>that.
>>
>>Are you sure this is the case? There are numerous applications that support
>>swallowing. Some of them are quite small.
>>Right now I can't think of one though, I'll do some checking.
>

> OK, well, more precicely, the ones I looked at (FVWM and Gnome-whatsit IIRC)
> used window manager hacks.
>

>>We talked about this some years ago I remember doing some checking back then,
>>the ones that I have seen are derived from WindowMakers dockapps.
>>These apps export small bitmaps as windows, I think the approach is valid for
>>us to.
>

> Not really, as the bitmap will be ~600 pixels wide and is likely to
> contain constantly moving meters, I can image that being quite a load.

Reading up on it somewhat I see no reason for using even OpenGL inside a
  swallowed application... They are after all just windows. Maybe my
note about bitmaps was just confusing things. They are as accelerated as
anything else.

Here is an example I found with a quick search, I have no idea how the
code looks.

http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~bigboss/kappdock/index.html

> Xnest seems like a better option really. It just needs somone who
> understands X better than me to look at it.

I'm definately not convinced, running Xnest seems to me like a huge
waste of resources. I mean Xnest is a complete Xserver isn't it?

/Robert