[linux-audio-dev] The future of XAP? (was: fruityloops on linux?)

Tom stillone at snowcrest.net
Fri Jan 31 14:28:00 UTC 2003

> The worst situation we can end up in if we go ahead with XAP is two
> plugin APIs on Linux; XAP and a new, totally incompatible API. That's
> still a lot better than the *current* situation on Windows and Mac
> OS.

Given the nature of vested interest, this is probably the best
situation, not the worst.  Don't wait.  The only reason to delay is if
you actually believe that a unified approach is not just possible, but
probable.  Closed developers might agree to a closed, members only,
approach but a true unification would require either presently closed
developers to abandon the idea of trade secrets, or open developers to
abandon the gpl.  Neither is likely.  If you are into it, just go ahead.

Tom