[linux-audio-dev] Linux && dsp additions

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:12:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:53:13AM -0500, happyguy wrote:
> Is this avenue worth pursuing further, or should I look beyond a $1700
> PwPulsar and find another DSP/DAW dev platform?  Anyone have any leads?
> I ran into TCelectronics Powercore Firewire which seems decently
> assembled, but I do not know of any Linux efforts being made on this...
> obviously it is not supported directly.  Of course everyone knows RME
> Hammerfall, but alas no DSP power :(.  Still, I would like to give a
> little return investment to all those DSP apps the community has already
> written for Creamware's SCOPE platform... For those familiar with SCOPE,
> know of any other integrated platforms like this that have a good
> backing of community support?

There is the Chameleon. Several of the PCI DSP dev boards work in linux I
think. With the consumer audio targetted ones I think you end up paying
for the DSP code they come with (reverbs and such), which may or may not
be usable under linux.

> Can we live without a good DSP & 24x96?  Not me.

It should be viable on host CPUs relativly shortly, 32bit floating point
is allreaddy the norm, and moving to 96k is just a binary order of
magnitude more processing, 18 months away if Moore's holds.

Granted its not as reliable as DSP tech (you end up wasting a lot of
cycles to occasional extra load and UIs), but I think its cheaper overall.

- Steve