[linux-audio-dev] 2.5.72 + ALSA + jack == happy monkey

cliffw at easystreet.com cliffw at easystreet.com
Sat Jun 21 03:32:00 UTC 2003

Wanted to post a quick success story with the 2.5 kernel series:
Machine
processor VIA C3 Ezra
cpu MHz         : 932.918
bogomips        : 1843.20
256MB ram

Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)

Debian unstable.
This is the little VIA mini-itx I use for email, horrible little built-in
Via audio.
Built linux-2.5.72 from BK source, installed ALSA 0.9.4 libs+goop,
built jack 0.71.2 from debian source, also had to recompile alsaplayer
(from cvs)
After that, it Just Works.
As i said, horrible chipset, but with
jackd --tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs --realtime -P 20 -d alsa -d via82xx:0,0 -p1024 -n3
-r 32000 -s -zr -P &
I can stream mp3's from my SLiMP3 server to alsaplayer (text) with no dropouts,
while running KDE3.2 and typing this email!

I made a few passes at this machine with 2.4, but i could _not get useable
audio - overwhelmed by pops and crackles.

Thanks everyone.
I have the M-Audio MobliePre USB recognized also, but no sound there yet.
cliffw