[linux-audio-dev] New powermacs?

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Sat Jun 21 20:00:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:34:28 -0400
"Ivica Bukvic" <ico at fuse.net> wrote:

> Although if I ended up running Linux on it I would be paying a lot more
> for (at best) comparable hardware shrink-wrapped in the pretty box. If
> that is all, then I guess I feel rehabilitated :-).

I have a 500Mhz G3 iBook. The build quality on this machine is better than
anything else I've seen in the price range.

The price on the Aple laptops has also been dropping lately and it seems to
have all but obliterated the price differential between PPC and x86 based
laptops.

> I am really thinking here whether OS X is worth the stab, or will I feel
> caged once I abandon the freedom of Linux. It seems you've partially
> answered my question, and I thank you for that!

If you are interested in pre-packaged shink-wrapped software than OSX might
be for you. If you want to explore the cutting edge you want Linux.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)