[linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Mar 1 13:30:01 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 March 2003 17.12, Simon Jenkins wrote:
[...]
> >then these components must be built of other components...
> >i dont see a reason why one wants a big complex component
> >if it could be built from smaller components...
> >(other than performace)
>
> Absolutely they must be built out of other components. The question
> is: who does the building? I'm saying that the plugin designer
> should be able to present a complex "plugin" which is actually a
> ready-connected graph of simpler components. The alternative is for
> the plugin designer to present a "bag of bits" for the user to
> connect together.

If we do this on the right level, we can have both. We definitely
should have a standard graph description (and preset) file format
anyway, and all we need is a way for plugin authors to provide useful
subgraphs with their plugins.

As to user interfaces, this is where many->one and one->many
(DSP->GUI) gets in. You might want to have a single "panel" for a
mixer, even if it's constructed from multiple DSP plugins.