[linux-audio-dev] recording, sample rate problem

Nick Bailey n.j.bailey at elec.gla.ac.uk
Fri Mar 14 09:49:01 UTC 2003

Turos Laszlo wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm trying to write a soundrecorder application under linux.
>I have Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.
>Playing sound on my soundcard works fine,but
>I'm having problems recording.
>I was using GNOME Sound recorder 1.2.3 to record sound but it seems
>that it can only record sound at a 48000 Hz sampling rate,but playing back
>the recorded sound it is a noise.
>
>I wrote a little program myself and I reached the same conclusion that I
>can not set other sampling rate than 48000.
>My soundcard under Windows records good sound with other sampling
>rates.

You don't know that. You mean "A file with other sampling rates can be
produced under Windows", right?

>I have my soundcard on my VIA motherboard.

I don't know this hardware, but you could try using 48k sampling rate
and converting to different sample rates when saving. Using sox down a
pipe works pretty well for this (other less hacky solutions exist :). It
seams a bit strange you can't record at least 44100 and 32000 as well,
though. What other sampling rates did you try?

Dr Nick Bailey                              n.j.bailey at elec.gla.ac.uk
Centre for Music Technology                 http://cmt.gla.ac.uk/
Dept of Electronics and Electrical Eng      http://www.elec.gla.ac.uk/
The University of Glasgow                   http://www.gla.ac.uk

European Copyright Directive/Software Patenting:
Help us fight the war on terrorism.
http://cmt.gla.ac.uk/Info/swpatents.html

The OpenDrama Survey: please tell us your opinions!
http://markov.music.gla.ac.uk/Projects/OpenDrama/OD-Survey/