[linux-audio-dev] Kylix

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Thu May 8 20:02:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:15:20PM -0400, nickt wrote:
> So far I think the GUI kits on Linux are a bit primitive compared to
> what I was using on Windows.
>
> I could do cool stuff with Kylix very easily. I think Borland C++
> Builder was the best development tool ever made for Rapid development
> work. And since I am a Rapid kind of guy it suited my way of doing
> things perfectly. FLTK and GTK are not rapid tools, sorry, they just
> aren't, they are very clumsy for doing rapid prototyping with (but FLTK
> is better than GTK at this).

I am not familiar with Kylix (isn't that Delphi/Pascal really?), but if you want to develop C++ gui programs, be sure to check out QT (http://www.trolltech.com/) which is available as Free Software and comes with a nice GUI builder (designer). It also integrates with the KDevelop IDE (which needs KDE, but is useful for QT-only apps too), but I have only looked briefly at that one so far...

I've never done any Windows coding, but from what I read, the MFC is primitive in comparison to QT (which is also available for Windows btw.).

Of course there are also GUI builders and C++-wrappers for GTK, but I'm not familiar with those either...

cheers,
Christian Henz