[linux-audio-dev] Hammerfall latency confusion in german "Keyboards" articles ?

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Sat Nov 1 21:49:11 UTC 2003

Hi,
I regularly read the german "Keyboards" magazine and in some
occasions they tested some Windows softsynths/HDR apps and measured
voicecount/number of parallel instances of plugins.
They usually talk about "3 msec latency" case but in one occasion
I've seen they talked about "1.5msec latency" too.

I could be wrong but I assume they are misinterpreting "fragment
latency" and total latency, fooling users into believing that the
latency numbers they gave refered to the total latency.

My question is: since the Hammerfall cards always use two fragments,
are the buffer size (latency) figures shown in the diagram below:

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/hdsp/mf_set.gif

refered to the whole buffer or to a single fragment.

for example take the 1.5msec (64 samples) case.

Does that mean 64 samples in total (32samples/fragment = 0.75msec per
fragment) or 64 samples per fragment (1.5msec per fragment thus a total
3msec).

I'm sure Paul D. and other Hammerfall experts will be able to enlighten me.

Sorry for the question but I just wanted to be sure that it's not the
case where per-fragment latencies as sold as total latencies since lower
  latency numbers are always cool :-)

cheers,
Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org