[linux-audio-dev] Re: Hammerfall latency confusion in german "Keyboards" articles ?

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Sat Nov 1 22:03:01 UTC 2003

hmmm, I'll try to respond to my own question:

(hoping having done the math correctly):
alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:
hdsp->period_bytes = 1 << ((hdsp_decode_latency(hdsp->control_register)
+ 8));

latency register is 3 bit long, set all 3 bit to 0 and you get the
lowest possible latency:
period_bytes=1 << (0+8) = 256
we are talking about 32bit words (24bit audio embedded in 32bit words)
thus we need to divide bytes / 4
we get 64.
one period = one fragment thus I assume the minimum buffer size = 2 x 64
= 128 samples which
at 44100 = 3msec.  (the keyboards test were done at 44.1kHz).

So basically my assumption seems to be correct (I hope so :-) ).

Perhaps these "latency" journalists are exactly those that say that
Linux audio is not a reality
and will have no future anyway :-)

cheers,
Benno.