[linux-audio-dev] Dev Music

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 7 18:12:02 UTC 2003

Hallo,
Alexander Franca Fernandes hat gesagt: // Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:

> Please, be patience with my horrible english.
>
> I want make one program that can get notes/sounds and put out in screen
> images.

You might want to take a look at some of the graphical sound systems,
then. For example Pd (www.pure-data.org) is very easy to set up and
yet very powerful. You could use some of the Pd extensions to create
images of sound or the other way around. GEM is very easy to get
started with, if you have an OpenGL enabled card. For reading from a
TV card (or webcam) PDP is nice.

> I don't have any idea how I can do this.
>
> What language, what libraries, and I don't have any Idea how work /dev/dsp.
> What the first step?
>
> This project is for pupils of school where I work.

This is directly programming the soundcard hardware. Do you really
want to do that? In my opinion this could be too difficult for your
pupils, if they don't have a certain background with that. But I may
be wrong. Anyway, using something like Pd will still be a good
experience, because you get to see the whole picture of sound
generation better. The Pd author Miller S. Puckette also uses Pd to
teach sound synthesis and such. See his upcoming book at
http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm

> So... we want try destroy some concepts using computer with people between 12
> and 16 yeas old.

I'd be glad to hear about your experiences.

> This program we want build is just one part of our project.
>
> So... if I can do this program, need I learn a lot of mathematic and
> fisic? Or I can do this just with knowlegde about programer.

I think, you will need some mathematics, but nothing too complicated.
A bit of trigonometry is very useful in computer sound but you can get
far with knowing just muliplication and summing. At least in Pd, that
is.

ciao