[linux-audio-dev] Programming resource question

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 13 05:11:49 UTC 2003

>Sorry I guess I didn't make myself very clear there. I don't mean that I
>wan't to make an audio ap and would do the audio stuff myself, I'd
>definitely use Jack for that. I'm making a step sequencer to drive midi gear
>and csound synths. So the timing I'm concerned about is the engine of the
>sequencer outputing midi notes and csound events via pipes.

ah, yes, a very different question indeed. well, there are several
apps to look at:

     TSE: a library for doing MIDI sequencing
     muse+rosegarden: full fledged MIDI+audio sequencers
     softwerk: a MIDI "analog" pattern sequencer

and probably quite a few more from the "MIDI" section of the linux
sound+midi pages (linuxsound.org).

in general, you can't get excellent timing under linux without kernel
patches, but you can do well enough that almost no human will notice.

as far as using pipes go, they are pretty damn quick under linux.

about porting it to a ucontroller - unless the ucontroller runs within
a POSIX-like environment, i suspect that writing portable code for
this will be rather hard.

--p