[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Stonekeeper stonekeeper at stonekeeper.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 09:04:35 UTC 2003

Greetings,

I go to sleep, wake up and see WW3 started! :)

Firstly, I didn't mean to criticise anyone personally, that was never my
intention. So peace, ok :) What I found somewhat offencive was the
dismissive attitude to a port that the author really didn't have to
make. If I was him and reading this list I would think twice about
dedicating my time to people whose only focus is "yeah, but is it
opensource?". So with this in mind I must ask a question:

Do you think a port of Sonar or Nuendo to linux would be a good thing?

If so, and it happened, i promise you it would not be open source. These
people need to make a living. I believe it _would_ talk to JACK, LADSPA,
etc (it would be stupid not to) but I doubt they'd release the code.
This port would mean that in the publics eyes, linux was now considered
a viable alternative by the "industry" and linux audio has reached the
big time. You would have binary compatibility problems, like you said.
You would also have nothing to show if the company went down, like you
say. But for the windows musician, that's par for the course. If the
motivation for a coder/company is NOT to make money, the opensource
development model (IMHO) is the best way to go. All the benefits stated
by various posters are available and I fully believe in this model,
under that situation. I am a coder myself and a musician and i would
personally opensource anything that I didn't need to make a living off.

If you think a binary port of Sonar or Nuendo would be a bad thing, then
that's more of an opinion based on philosophy and not based on
furthering linux in the audio realm.

It's good top talk. :)

Peace,

-Lea.