[linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???

hexe_2003 at directbox.com hexe_2003 at directbox.com
Sat Oct 11 02:34:00 UTC 2003

-------- directBOX Reply ---------------
From: magusofthedark at yahoo.com
To  : linux-audio-dev at music.columbia.edu
Date: 11.10.2003 00:45:38

> >The prob. w/ portaudio is it abstracts to OSS, not
> >ALSA and I'd rather not take the least-common
> >denominator road.
>
> No. PortAudio abstracts to a callback model. Its
> closer to JACK than
> either OSS or ALSA. It isn't any closer to ALSA than
> it is to OSS.

I phrased that poorly. Say someone has ALSA and
doesn't have OSS compatibility. Would an app written
in portaudio work on their sys? If it doesn't, then
that's what I meant by that it doesn't abstract to
ALSA. If it does, then What I said was wrong, my bad.

--------

Like I understood portAudio's hp, portaudio is able to work with OSS.
Secondly, alsa is able to deal with OSS-apps because of an, well, OSS-emulation.
With other words OSS-applications are able to work with alsa, and they don't know
that they are working under alsa ;).
Ergo portAudio ( with it compatibility to OSS ) runs under OSS & ALSA and so
under Linux generally.

Sascha Retzki
Verpassen Sie keine eBay-Auktion und bieten Sie bequem
und schnell über das Telefon mit http://www.telefonbieten.de

Ihre eMails auf dem Handy lesen - ohne Zeitverlust - 24h/Tag
eMail, FAX, SMS, VoiceMail mit http://www.directbox.com