[linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Oct 11 06:34:00 UTC 2003

Hallo,

hexe_2003 at directbox.com hat gesagt: // hexe_2003 at directbox.com wrote:
> Like I understood portAudio's hp, portaudio is able to work with
> OSS.  Secondly, alsa is able to deal with OSS-apps because of an,
> well, OSS-emulation.  With other words OSS-applications are able to
> work with alsa, and they don't know that they are working under alsa
> ;).  Ergo portAudio ( with it compatibility to OSS ) runs under OSS
> & ALSA and so under Linux generally.

Well, (almost) every application written for OSS, be it directly or
through PA-OSS, can also run on ALSA's OSS emulation. That's what an
emulation is good for.

But you miss the advanced features of ALSA if you only use the
OSS-emu. For example it is rather hard to map the asoundrc-definitions
in a common 4-channel USB card like the M-Audio Quattro to OSS
devices. At least I couldn't get this to work in ALSA-OSS.

ciao