[linux-audio-dev] Athlon64

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Oct 15 13:42:01 UTC 2003

At Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:21:34 -0700,
Tim Hockin wrote:

> I'm potentially in the market for a new box before end of year.  Has anyone
> found anything to show whether Athlon64 (or the high-end FX line) are worth
> it for audio?  Assume some legacy audio code under legacy OS :-/

i've been using AMD64 (not so fast and big one) for more than a year
as my main workstation.  most of linux audio applications work on
64bit mode now, including JACK and many its clients, too (although
i've not used this for the practical audio works).

the benifit of 64bit is... difficult to say, if you don't have really
large memory more than 4GB :)  you won't notice big differences from
32bit environment.

anyway, it's faster than 32bit athlon, and has both SSE2 and 3dnow
supports.

Takashi