[linux-audio-dev] Athlon64

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Wed Oct 15 14:04:00 UTC 2003

onsdagen den 15 oktober 2003 19.25 skrev Takashi Iwai:
> At Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:21:34 -0700,
>
> Tim Hockin wrote:
> > I'm potentially in the market for a new box before end of year.  Has
> > anyone found anything to show whether Athlon64 (or the high-end FX line)
> > are worth it for audio?  Assume some legacy audio code under legacy OS
> > :-/
>
> i've been using AMD64 (not so fast and big one) for more than a year
> as my main workstation.  most of linux audio applications work on
> 64bit mode now, including JACK and many its clients, too (although
> i've not used this for the practical audio works).
>
> the benifit of 64bit is... difficult to say, if you don't have really
> large memory more than 4GB :)  you won't notice big differences from
> 32bit environment.
>
> anyway, it's faster than 32bit athlon, and has both SSE2 and 3dnow
> supports.

Since we are in a world where 64bit native is only a recompile away (tm)...
Anyone have any insights on the possible performance improvements with that
perspective?

I've heard the Athlon64 has lots of registers, lots of cache, more pipelines
and, well, it's 64bit, it sure sounds as if it would make one hell of a
difference, right?

/Robert