[linux-audio-dev] new linux audio hardware company

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Oct 17 18:53:12 UTC 2003

>>    www.museresearch.com
>>
>> check the "technology->architecture" page (Flash). they are running
>> linux. they also run VST plugins. how? what's going on ...
>> -----------
>>
>> I've heared about some VsTi plugins are also runable in linux/unix
>> environments, but I have no really idea how ;)... . But there are quiet a
>> few people seem to run vst under linux ...
>>

>I think i read recently about some program that emulates the host environment
>using wine libraries. The same way it is done in mplayer to use win32 codecs.
>.
>so you can use native VST plugins.
>Not a clue about where to find this. I myself would be happy to give it a try

kjetil wrote this for VST. it works. its very cool. its a bit of a
kludge. i reimplemented it to provide a JACK VST host (not released
yet). to do it properly requires that WINE abandon its approach of
providing its own incomplete pthreads implementation, either by
completing it, or using the standard one, which they say they can't
do. transgaming has taken a different approach with their WineX stuff,
but that's not available in source form yet (they say it will
be). under NPTL, the situation appears to have eased a little, because
NPTL uses one layer of function call indirection through a pointer to
access pthreads, making it possible for libraries like WINE to layer
their own stuff on top of pthreads only where they need it. since i
just moved to RH9 yesterday, i should give it a try ... BUT ... AFAIK,
the PlanetCCRMA kernel with the best performance doesn't have NPTL
support.

my question about "how" wasn't mean as "how could you possibly do
this?", but more as in "did these guys copy kjetil's work, or
independently invent it, or did they actually use it?"