[linux-audio-dev] new linux audio hardware company

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Oct 17 19:27:50 UTC 2003

Hi,

> kjetil wrote this for VST. it works. its very cool. its a bit of a
> kludge. i reimplemented it to provide a JACK VST host (not released
> yet). to do it properly requires that WINE abandon its approach of
> providing its own incomplete pthreads implementation, either by
> completing it, or using the standard one, which they say they can't
> do.

> transgaming has taken a different approach with their WineX stuff,
> but that's not available in source form yet (they say it will
> be).

Do you know this for a fact?
It was a while since I checked out transgaming (I was a paying member for a
while...though I don't play games ;-P ), but I was under the impression that
they released everything in source form, except the parts that are genuinely
proprietary (anti copying stuff mostly).

> under NPTL, the situation appears to have eased a little, because
> NPTL uses one layer of function call indirection through a pointer to
> access pthreads, making it possible for libraries like WINE to layer
> their own stuff on top of pthreads only where they need it. since i
> just moved to RH9 yesterday, i should give it a try ... BUT ... AFAIK,
> the PlanetCCRMA kernel with the best performance doesn't have NPTL
> support.
>
> my question about "how" wasn't mean as "how could you possibly do
> this?", but more as in "did these guys copy kjetil's work, or
> independently invent it, or did they actually use it?"

Atleast one of the guys have posted here on the mailing list so I guess you'll
find out, probably sooner than later.

I'm guessing they did it independently though, I think the company has been
around a while... actually I've been waiting for them to announce
"something".

/Robert