[linux-audio-dev] how hard could this be?

Lance Blisters geoff at lek.ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 12 13:14:41 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:29:58PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>   http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/junXion-10.html
>
> the ALSA sequencer already provides 90% of the infrastructure
> described. all that is needed is something to read from the game
> controller and queue immediate MIDI events ...

  I would like something which accepts plugins for different
  controller types (serial-port controller kits are widely available,
  GDAM supports rangefinders on parallel port which allows filter
  cutoffs to be adjusted moving hands through the air, GDAM supports
  a ps2 keyboard on the mouse port for a very cheap 120-key
  trigger/toggle solution) and plugins for different outputs (OSC
  would avoid having to cram everything through MIDI) and hopefully
  the ability to split data to a socket so controllers can be used
  by more than one piece of software.  Controllers are an important
  aspect of computer music, and i think this is another area
  where peoples' efforts are not reused or shared (guilty myself)

  -geoff