[OT] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Blocking rima-tde.net

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Sep 16 13:42:00 UTC 2003

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:
>

>>as a sidenote, it is *strongly* discouraged to run your own smtp
>>server on a dynamic ip address that you don't exclusively own. i know
>>it's nice to roll your own just for the hack value, but any
>>responsible smtp admin out there should block *any and all* mails
>>coming from known dialup address pools.
>

> Please be very careful how you proceed here.  I agree that dynamic IP
> addresses are inappropriate for SMTP.  But, not all DSL addresses are
> dynamic.

agreed.

> I run SMTP over DSL with a static IP and full DNS support, including
> reverse delegation.  This is perfectly legitimate.  I am not operating
> an open relay.  I have not spammed anyone.  AFAICT, I am in complaince
> with IEC best practices for SMTP.  If I am doing something wrong,
> please notifiy me via postmaster, and I will fix it.
>
> Otherwise, you have no right to tell me I should not do this.  :-)

sure. the keyword is "dynamic ip" here.

still, i'm trying to discourage people from doing it, since your machine
might very well be less available than the redundant, diesel-backed big
iron at your isp and eventually cause more bounces.
and if it's not, quietly enjoy your server but don't tell people to do
the same ;), because their admin skills might not be as good as yours,
and a haywire mail server can cause headaches all over the net...

--
Progress (n.):  The process through which the Internet has evolved from
smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)