[OT] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Blocking rima-tde.net

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Tue Sep 16 14:03:01 UTC 2003

Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:

> sure. the keyword is "dynamic ip" here.
>
> still, i'm trying to discourage people from doing it, since your
> machine might very well be less available than the redundant,
> diesel-backed big iron at your isp and eventually cause more bounces.

No diesel, just an inexpensive battery UPS.  Only good for about a 15
minute outage.  But, note that server unavailability doesn't bounce
mail unless it continues for a long time.

> and if it's not, quietly enjoy your server but don't tell people to do
> the same ;), because their admin skills might not be as good as yours,
> and a haywire mail server can cause headaches all over the net...

Agreed.  I'm not telling anyone to do it.  In fact, I would advise
most people not to.  It can be a hassle to maintain.

I recently had a problem with Time Warner.  They were blocking mail
from *all* home DSL addresses.  I got that straightened out, but have
since become sensitive to this kind of blanket treatment.

Punish me (if you must) for what I do, not for my connection protocol.

Regards,
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA