[linux-audio-dev] more practical stuff about synth-programming -- jack seems to be less documentated

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 18 09:14:01 UTC 2003

>Somebody of this list said to me that "it would be much easier for
>me to use jack" . Well, I did not find ANY developer-documentation on the origina
>lly HP
>and I want to know if jack already HAS an easy-to-programm software synth impleme
>nted;

JACK is not a programming SDK for synthesis. Its an API that

     (1) provides a high level callback abstraction for interacting
             with an audio interface
     (2) allows applications to share data with each other while
             operating in a sample synchronous with respect to
	     each other.

It allows you to get a basic DSP algorithm producing sound without you
worrying about how to configure the audio interface, and then later
lets that same output be (potentially) routed to other applications
for processing/manipulation/recording.

--p