[linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Fri Sep 19 20:51:01 UTC 2003

On 20 Sep 2003 02:07:08 +0300
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 20:42, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > PortAudio is the only cross-platform API worth considering, IMHO. Its
> > correctly designed, and works on more platforms that anything else.
>
> What drivers it uses on Solaris, AIX and Tru64 platforms? If it uses OSS
> I don't see much point in putting some extra overhead and code to audio
> chain.

I don't know about AIX and Tru64, but on Solaris it is definitely not
OSS, but somehitng that looks a little similar.

> Are there any other drivers to get any decent PCI soundcard to work on
> those platforms?

For Solaris on Sparc hardware, Solaris already comes with suitable drivers.
On x86, I doubt that there is much support for anything more than the most
generic of cards.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)