[linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Sat Sep 20 08:59:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 03:35, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> I don't know about AIX and Tru64, but on Solaris it is definitely not
> OSS, but somehitng that looks a little similar.

4front-tech does OSS drivers for Solaris, AIX and Tru64.

> For Solaris on Sparc hardware, Solaris already comes with suitable drivers.
> On x86, I doubt that there is much support for anything more than the most
> generic of cards.

It comes with drivers for Sun hardware, not for example M-Audio
Delta1010. I don't know of any other driver for those operating systems
that supports for example Delta1010.

This is why I continue to support OSS. And I still recommend it for
users because it's easy to install. Just do "./oss-install" and then
just OK-OK-Exit&Save and that's it.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>