[linux-audio-dev] Re: PdDSP?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 8 18:04:43 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Mr.Freeze hat gesagt: // Mr.Freeze wrote:

> Let me explain the facts, what I should have done from the beginning:
>
> I'm planning to build a special controller based on the Theremin, with MIDI
> and/or CV outs. All material released for free: schematics, software...
>
> The Theremin does have a trademark sound, even if most think it's a pure sine
> wave; but the aforementionned controller won't reduce itself to this: I'm more
> interested in its sensing technology.
>
> Yet, I was wondering if an built-in expander was needed in addition, for live
> use; or if it could simply rely on a computer (my use). Hence my idea to use a
> kinda port of PureData to DSP so that the user could get the same sound either
> from hardware or software means, just by dumping patches;

Well, for this I wouldn't really bother with porting Pd to a platform
rather uncomforable to it. ;)

You can use a whole bunch of input methods in Pd: Midi, score
following with the fiddle~ external (play on your theremin and feed
the audio into Pd, fiddle~ converts it to frequency values), USB over
the event interface on Linux, parallel port, serial port input,
joystick, probably many more. Pd is quite a happy to speak with
anybody.

ciao