[linux-audio-dev] New LilyPond entry suggestion html snippet [Was: soundapps updated]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen janneke at gnu.org
Mon Apr 12 08:15:58 UTC 2004

Jens M. Andreasen writes:

Find ready to cut and paste suggestion below :-)

>> in the hope that you found the time to update the LilyPond entry with
>> musings on how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
>
> Dave is not doing his site for a living

I know that; if he did, I'd have been pestering him about this once a
week, the past four years.  This is just my yearly request.

FWIW, I'm not doing LilyPond development for a living.

> and when introducing updates, he just picks what appears to be "the
> essence" or "the catchline" in the releasenotes.

I can imagine that.  Dave was spot-on in his first listing of LilyPond
seven years ago.  But we've been working the living daylight out of
our lives, the past eight years, and that why I send a yearly please
update note.

> You could have had mentioned that your format is "Now supported by
> Rosegarden", or "Ten out of nine brassplayers prefers LilyPond" etc ..

Ok, I suggest this new entry with catchline straight from
http://linuxmusician.com, with list of items.  Here we go, (html
version attached below):

     [1]GNU LilyPond: One of the best-known and most ambitious music
       programs for Linux is the LilyPond score engraving system.
     * makes beautiful prints, seeks to to [2]revive the aesthetics of
       traditionally engraved music through automated engraving engine
     * easy to type, text based input
     * extensive [3]documentation, including [4]tutorial and a
       [5]glossary of musical terms for non-native English speakers
     * prompt support by heavy development and active user community
     * ready to print music scores from the [6]Mutopia Project
     * import filters: abc2ly, etf2ly (Finale), midi2ly, mup2ly,
       musedata2ly and [7]xml2ly
     * supported by the printing engines of [8]NoteEdit, [9]Rosegarden
       and [10]Denemo
     * Emacs and VIM editing modes