[linux-audio-dev] Re: Audio over Ethernet

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Thu Apr 15 11:10:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:07:07 +0200
Anders Torger <torger at ludd.luth.se> wrote:

> Perhaps RTP is good enough. However, at several hundreds of megabits of
> throughput, it could be valuable not needing to calculate checksums in
> software. I guess IP and UDP checksums usually are calculated in
> software.

That used to be the case but not anymore. Many modern cards to hardware
checksum calculations. I think this is also a prerequisite for zero
copy networking so any card which can do zero copy networking should
also do hardware checksumming.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)