[linux-audio-dev]converting old pc hardware to a live music performance toy

Ariel Sommeria asomeria at MAYAH.com
Thu Apr 15 12:22:41 UTC 2004

Hi Everybody!
I have some old pc hardware that I want to use for live music performance.
To start with it would be an effects box, then if all goes well an expander,
a sampler, and/or whatever other ideas I come up with. I was thinking of
using a footswitch controller, with a few buttons and a wah-wah like pedal
as a knob. I have yet to buy the controller so I'm open to suggestions. It
would work with USB or MIDI, or better both. If MIDI, then I also need a
MIDI input card. Ultimately I would like the software to be as compact as
possible, so I can run it off a flash card instead of a hard drive. It would
probably be without GUI, though I'm leaving this open.
Now to the linux bit:
There is all this cool stuff already programmed for linux that I could be
able to tailor to my needs, so its worth looking at, it seems. And I am sure
I am not the first one to come up with this idea. So would you have any
suggestions on where to start?
As you have probably gathered, I'm a newbie to Linux. But I'm not to
programming, and I'm ok with doing some coding.
bye,
Ariel