[linux-audio-dev] RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 07:17:37 UTC 2004

I cant really comment on the MIDI thing, thats Chris' area, I dont know
enough about it, but N.B. the midi method is optional and the program one
is not.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:24:17 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> | 2. Discovery and Startup ...
>
> .. it would be so much much simpler to just have two commands:
>
> show_ui(), hide_ui() or perhaps: ui(TRUE), ui(FALSE)
>
> .. and let the developer spawn a thread, a process or a program (recommended!)
> which will take care of the user interface. The plugin "knows" its own
> structure and can present a useable layout. The interpreter of a query will
> probably just run out of screen real estate.

The advantage of seperating it out is that the host can pick UIs, the user
can override the default UIs (eg. with a curses / motorised control based
one) and it guarantees seperation between the host and synth. Also, if the
synth is responsible for spawing the UI it can create a private
back-channel (ala VST) which would break automation.

> For reference: I have 16 channels with 164 parameters each ...
> That is to the unsuspecting interpreter a humble 2624 parameters
> on screen :)

The UI can be completely custom - so you can present those parameters in
whatever way is appropriate.

- Steve