[linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Aug 15 17:09:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 03:27:11PM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> For example instead of resampling 10000 samples to 10001, you could
> copy 9000 samples and then resample 1000 to 1001. This allows the
> resampling code to handle at least 10x more channels for the same,
> CPU load.
>
> It will introduce a bit of 'vibrato' on your signal, in this case
> with an amplitude of 1/59 of a semitone, which is probably harmless.

I think it should be.  Remember that people successfully run
multiple analog multitrack machines in sync by controlling the
motor of one with some kind of timecode printed on the other.
We're dealing with physical motors so I suspect the "vibrato" in
that case is a lot more and nobody complained about it.

Another interesting comparison is modular digital multitracks
such as ADAT and DA-88.  Anybody know how sync works on those
beasties?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com