[linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Aug 15 17:53:56 UTC 2004

Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> writes:

> Another interesting comparison is modular digital multitracks
> such as ADAT and DA-88.  Anybody know how sync works on those
> beasties?

I think ADAT sends a wordclock-like pulse over the optical link.  One
machine is master.  All the others slave their converters to that.
Given sample synchronicity, doing the tape I/O is just a buffering
task that each device can manage independently.

Synchronizing the A/D converters is important for serious multi-track
recording.  Otherwise, there can be phase and jitter artifacts when
mixing the tracks.

I would suppose that Tascam does something similar.
--
  joq