[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Pete Bessman ninjadroid at gazuga.net
Tue Aug 31 17:15:24 UTC 2004

At Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:02:43 +0100,
Steve Harris wrote:

> I like the OO-in-C style of programming, its pretty much the best of both
> worlds IMHO. C syntax, but no C++ 'features'.

Seriously.  You can easily do Real OOP in C; the only thing it lacks
is syntactic sugar.  I wish there was a real C++, as in a C that has
just had a few minor, incremental improvements made to it.  C++ may
have a lot in common with C in a technical sense, but the mentality it
represents is almost completely orthogonal.  (And yes, you can write C
style in C++, but then, why not just use C?)

The D programming language looks very promising in this regard, but
its newsgroup faces a daily battle with people who seem more
interested in creating a religion than a tool.  Now that I think about
it, that struggle seems to be a recurring theme in the world of
programming languages at large.

--Pete

<http://www.gazuga.net>

"Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic!" --Tom Venuto