[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Aug 31 17:47:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:15:24 -0400, Pete Bessman wrote
> At Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:02:43 +0100,
> Steve Harris wrote:
> >
> > I like the OO-in-C style of programming, its pretty much the best of both
> > worlds IMHO. C syntax, but no C++ 'features'.
>
> Seriously.  You can easily do Real OOP in C; the only thing it lacks
> is syntactic sugar.  I wish there was a real C++, as in a C that has
> just had a few minor, incremental improvements made to it.  C++ may
> have a lot in common with C in a technical sense, but the mentality
> it represents is almost completely orthogonal.  (And yes, you can
> write C style in C++, but then, why not just use C?)

Getting off topic here, but there's a little more to it than that. 1 Syntactic
sugared implementation is much much more preferable to 101 conventions for
doing OOP with void pointers.
Things like typesafety, getting rid of macros in favour of inline functions.
The STL is another real reason to use C++ - the closest we have to a standard
for that sort of stuff. UML etc... There are a lot of very practical reasons
for using C++.

> The D programming language looks very promising in this regard

The best thing I've seen about D is that it removes the C preprocessor - at
last! :)

cheers,

dave