[linux-audio-dev] Re: [ann] caps 0.2.0

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Dec 8 00:57:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 22:59 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Juhana Sadeharju]
>
> >>From: Tim Goetze <tim at quitte.de>
> >>
> >>  m = l + r;
> >>  l = dry * l + wet * reverb_l (m);
> >>  r = dry * r + wet * reverb_r (m);
> >[ ... ]
> >>'True stereo' is, of course, marketing BS. You may argue that I suffer
> >>from over-exposition to commercial environments; I concur. :)
> >
> >Dattorro's plate reverb of Griesinger type also feeds the M = L+R
> >signal to the main reverberator. However, that may not be a good
> >idea if L and R will sound bad when summed. When summing is done
> >that way, only the bad signal is going on inside the reverb. Nothing
> >turns it good.
>
> How can the mixdown sound bad?

Both of you are right albeit in different contexts.

> Are you suggesting that L + R might suffer from phase cancellation?

Yes, I think he is, don't you?  >:->   Is it important? perhaps, but
hopefully not. One would not (should not?) use a classical plate in
situations where "monofying" a stereo signal changes the overall
percepcion of the signal.

To give a scenario where this could happen anyway:

P == Producer
E == Engineer

P: We need some bad weather here ..
E: Got it, here is some bad-ass thunder
P: On target! Can you widen it to get out of the way from dialogue?
E: (pushes buttons)
E: (pushes buttons some more ...)
P: Keep it there! This is excacatly what I meant!! Only that ...
E: but ..
P: Only that it needs to be more distant. I think a bit of reverb
   will do it, don't you?
E: (mumble, fires up Lexicon)
P: Great! Really great!! (P is leaning back ...)
P: Let's see, we have a lot of more stuff to do today ...

A Month Later
-------------

P: That thunder rumble turned into a tin-can when I watched the show
   at my mother-in-laws, how is that?
E: (mumble, mumble) Ehrmm ... I started the widening you wanted with a
   chorus/flanger, but before I had time to finish the job, we went
   on ... So it wasn't "excactly" monocompatible. Chaining the Lexicon
   in after made it even worse.
P: (outragious) Why didn't you tell me on the spot. I should have
   been informed! Afterall, I am the one in charge!!!
E: (mumble)

> If so, I do not share your anxiety; neither do Mr Dattorro and Mr
> Griesinger it seems.

Your faked stereo in will work perfectly with a monocompatible mix. Like
Conga near one side and the bongo close by. And afterall, isn't this
where a plate shows its bright side :)

--

   (
    )