[linux-audio-dev] Re: Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Tue Dec 21 01:59:54 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 06:07 pm, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-20-12 at 19:59 +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > >From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at chello.se>
> > >
> > >Me? No not litle me :) But let us see ... This stuff was formalized in
> > >India a few thousind years ago, so if we google for:
> > >
> > > google: raga intonation scale
> > >
> > >Then we get:
> > > Modes and Ragas: More Than just a Scale
> > > http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11633/latest/
> >
> > So why don't we all together write software similar to Scala?
> > What Scala does? How and for what musicians use it?
> >
> > The topic sounds similar to Arabic Magams. I have listed some
> > of them from a book, but I'm not exactly sure how they are used.
> > I have improvised, though.
> >
> > Juhana
>
> Has anyone even tried convincing the author to open source it?  Making a

Ask him. I've dealt with freeware authors for FGFS. You're more likely to get
approval to fork than to get him to change the license. It could happen, but
I wuoldn't hold my breath.

> basic tuning app would be really easy, but duplicating all the things
> scala does would take forever.
>
> I mean, it's free of charge, and the source is available - it's not like
> he has anything to lose by properly open sourcing it.
>
> If he has issues with control, or people "stealing" scala, just explain
> the GPL.  Any changes must be published as source, so noone can "steal"
> it.
>
> I guess the big hurdle might be the "no commercial" part.  Some people
> aren't very fond of the idea of other people selling their software.

The bastards. Where do they come off (that's sarcasm)

> It sure would be nice to have Scala in Debian (and other distros)
> though.  Even if it is written in Ada. :)
>
> -DR-
>
> P.S.  PLEASE no stupid flames/trolls about open source not mattering or
> whatever.  Seriously.

Dave, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
I can't do it. You can't do it. I would love to see the unencumbered platform
you envision, but we aren't gonna get there beating our heads against the
wall.