[linux-audio-dev] Re: Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Dec 21 06:58:15 UTC 2004

On mån, 2004-12-20 at 19:59 +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> >From: Jens M Andreasen:
> > http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11633/latest/

> So why don't we all together write software similar to Scala?
> What Scala does? How and for what musicians use it?

Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention, confusing scale and tuning.
Scala appears to do something like this:

http://www.tonalsoft.com/enc/

.. and then some.

> The topic sounds similar to Arabic Magams. I have listed some
> of them from a book, but I'm not exactly sure how they are used.
> I have improvised, though.

You'll find Arabic Lute frettings listed under 'A' in the link above.
There isn't any reference to Arabic Maqamat though (the scales/modes
build on top of the tuning.) That would instead be in maqamworld.com or
some such.

--

   (
    )