[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Jan 14 15:36:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:16 am, Daniel James wrote:
> > But the last few months has seen a big increase in corporate
> > stakes in linux.
> I would say the last few years, but I take your point.
> > I beleive that the controversies are only just
> > beginning to be felt.

> Quite true - I'm hoping we can avoid exactly this kind of problem by
> bringing the pro audio industry in from the cold. They're not going
> away, and neither are we.

A lot of folks on, and off, this list have spent many years of work
toiling with hard-to-use tools with very little outside support, in
general (there are a few exceptions), to bring linux audio up to the
level of becoming quite useful and on the final run home to becoming
a professionally usable, even desirable, audio/whatever platform.

It's probably a bit of a wake up call to some folks on this list that
this cosey LAD-cabal is about to be usurped, absorbed and displaced by
a cororate-cabal and you're aim is to encourage this procedure. There
is some uneaze about whether the likes of Steinberg and M$ are in any
way welcome on the same planet, let alone involved in any decisions
about the future of ALSA/Jack/*, now that all the hard work has been
mostly done without them. Circling shark analogies come to mind.

My point is: don't take it for granted that everyone here will smile
upon your efforts. The reason the long hard route has been taken in
the first place is to avoid being shafted by corporate hidden agendas
and unabashed profit motives... which you are now openly promoting
using a debatably iconic netmark and without any obvious signs of
merit other than doing what _you_ think is appropriate.

My apologies for posting a message to this list without providing a
patch or a bug report.

--markc