[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 14 16:01:19 UTC 2004

> It's probably a bit of a wake up call to some folks on this list
> that this cosey LAD-cabal is about to be usurped, absorbed and
> displaced by a cororate-cabal and you're aim is to encourage this
> procedure.

Are you an ironist of some kind, Mark?

> There is some uneaze about whether the likes of
> Steinberg and M$ are in any way welcome on the same planet, let
> alone involved in any decisions about the future of ALSA/Jack/*

Firstly, neither Steinberg or Microsoft have been invited to join
linuxaudio.org, nor have they asked to. Secondly, I'm not at all
clear how membership of a consortium designed to promote the use of
libre software would allow these two companies to steer the ALSA
project, or any other. Thirdly, did you fail to notice that ALSA
development is now paid for by Novell?

> My point is: don't take it for granted that everyone here will
> smile upon your efforts.

I certainly won't. I think I'll concentrate on talking to people
actually making a positive contribution to Linux audio from now on.

> The reason the long hard route has been
> taken in the first place is to avoid being shafted by corporate
> hidden agendas and unabashed profit motives...

You presume I'm in favour of corporate shafting? You know nothing
about me, then.

> which you are now
> openly promoting using a debatably iconic netmark

If it's iconic, one of you should have bothered registering it before
two weeks ago - you had years to do it.

> and without any
> obvious signs of merit other than doing what _you_ think is
> appropriate.

Actually, I've spoken to a lot of people in the community about this,
who have nearly all been supportive.

Cheers

Daniel