[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Fri Jan 16 19:37:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 10:05, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:06:49 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > To summarize:
> >
> > 1. LAD should be an access point for all linux audio developers
>
> Maybe, but its not. I'm not even sure it should be. There a lot of people
> who just dont have time to read LAD,

If they have time to read slashdot, i'm sure they'll find time to read
LAD :)

>  and if there were even more
> traffic then some existing subscribers would have to leave.

Lots of people have been reading LAD 'offline'.

>  LAD has its
> own agenda that not all linux audio developers will agree with.

Could you explain?

> > > LADSPA -> Richard Furse. Although LADSPA is still _the_ example
> > >           of LAD people working together, we were not closing
> > >           in on any kind of solution in our discussions back
> > >           in 1999-2000. Richard went ahead and put the pieces
> > >           together, and ta-daa, we had a standard.
> >
> > Lots of issues have been discussed before and after the standard
> > release. I guess there are significant contributions from at least Steve
> > and Paul.
>
> It was before my time.

But you did contribute after?

"The original LADSPA proposal was included in an email to the Linux
Audio Developer Mailing List as part of an ongoing discussion on plugin
API design."

http://www.ladspa.org/original_api.txt
http://www.eca.cx/lad/2000/19991108-0307/0535.html
http://www.eca.cx/lad/2000/19991108-0307/0678.html