[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Iain Duncan iainduncan at telus.net
Fri Jan 16 20:59:45 UTC 2004

> Having every single connection, useful or not, done through jack would
> make your jack patch bay SO incredibly complicated and crammed full of
> garbage as to be totally useful.
>
> But you're mashing the ideas of modules in an app and connecting
> multiple apps together - different problems.  A jack patch bay that
> works like a modular would definately be cool, but a totally different
> project.

Speaking of complicated patchbays, one thing that might be worth bearing in
mind ( if it's not done already ) is allowing a *text* based patching
option. Has this been done already for other apps? For example, my csound
instruments are ridiculously complicated and would involve hundreds of
jacks, I would hate to try to program them with a gui. But with Vim and
Python helping me a long, patching in text is not so bad . . .

Just a thought!
Iain