[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Marcus Andersson marcus.t.andersson at spray.se
Fri Jan 16 21:06:44 UTC 2004

Dave Robillard wrote:

> But you're mashing the ideas of modules in an app and connecting
>
>multiple apps together - different problems.  A jack patch bay that
>works like a modular would definately be cool, but a totally different
>project.

 From a user's point of view, why should it be different problems? I
would want an application that presents both Jack clients and LADSPA
plugins as modules, and let me connect them however I want. There is no
reason I should have to instantiate "Jack IO modules" to access other
applications. Those ports should be created implicitly by the program
when I connect a LADSPA plugin and a Jack application.

I understand that for efficiency, it is probably not a good idea to
route all signals through jackd, but the choice of routing path should
be handled automatically by the application and not by the user.

Marcus