[linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 17 16:18:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:32:05 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > The [...] lack of skilled graphic designers with time to spare is a
> > bit of a problem.
>
> I'm not sure if that indeed is a problem. One thing I like in Pd and
> similar systems including Gem is, that it allows users to create their
> own GUI from very simple building blocks: a square, a line, a
> circle...  You don't need graphic wizards to design a square. ;)

True enough :) but I think it takes a reasonable ammount of talent to make
really intuative and compact UIs (screen realestate is an issue) even if
if doesnt have a photorealistic interface. Theres a loopbased performace
instrument that I think is a really good example (I cant remeber its
name), it only uses geometric 2-tone widgets, but its got an easy to use
interface and is well disigned. Personally, I dont have design skills
anywhere near that good, and I havent seen anything as good from other LAD
developers.

- Steve