[linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 21 09:59:02 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 23.04, Doug Wellington wrote:
[...]
> > The big difference is that when the job is done, the result is
> > *really* yours to keep. You won't find yourself forced to move to
> > a new environment a few years later, just because someone decides
> > it's time to change the whole environment to comply with the
> > latest fads, or because the actual owner of "your" software went
> > out of business.
>
> Heehee...  I know plenty of people still using "old" environments
> and technology!  Atari?  Amiga?  Moog?  Sequential?  Fender?  Vox?
> How about a nice TB-303 anybody...?  I know people who still swear
> by Opcode, while swearing *at* Gibson.  I'm still using a 450 MHz
> P-II running Win98se (and Microsoft is *still* supporting it)!

I used a Pentium 166 running Win95 "original" (not OSR2, that is),
until the mainboard died recently. Then I moved the OS (yet another
time) to an "old" dual P-II 233 box. (Where it would obviously use
only one CPU and one of the two outputs on the video card.) It wasn't
until last week I *finally* installed Win2k on that box. The
seemingly indestructible Win95 install is still lying around on the
old drive, just in case... :-)

More interestingly; given that I use Linux 99% of the time, what did I
use this Win95 system for. Well, not for Windows development. I used
it to compile DOS (Real Mode) software, using Borland C++ for DOS.
(Which has a few compiler bugs I have to work around, of course.)

That is, DOS software that is still *in use*, running mostly on
embedded 386 and 486 hardware. The major problem here is that I have
to maintain and update that software (which is big, bloated and
broken by design) while trying to work on the new (Linux based)
replacement.

> My
> main recording softare (Paris) hasn't been updated in years!  Does
> that mean I have to give it up?

Nope, not if it does the job.

Apparently, a few users still have working instruments from the
pre-Reologica era, based on 8 bit computers and/or analog signa
processing. I know some people are still using ABC80 computers for
various stuff.

However, if they need a new feature or run into a showstopper bug,
they're basically screwed. New software *and* hardware is the only
solution. Even if the companies behind the systems are still around,
the chances of them being willing or able to help with the old stuff
are minimal - and note that this is a low volume market, where it's
not unusual to implement new features just to close *one* deal.

> What about that old Studer???  Oh,
> that old thing...?  Heck, no technology is immune to the
> "obsolesence due to latest and greatest" syndrome.  Look at my
> Waldorf Microwave XT... Sigh...

That's very true as well - but in the case of development tools,
customized software and other generally long lived stuff, the
important part is whether or not you can maintain it five or ten
years later, in case you're one of few remaining users by then.

> > Paying some cash to get started quicker can end up being *very*
> > expensive down the road.
>
> Or not, depending...  ;-)

Right. "Simple" turnkey systems like h/w synths, lab instruments and
most embedded computers in household appliances, cars etc, usually
just do the job, until the hardware breaks down eventually, or the
equipment is replaced for some reason. More complex systems usually
depend more on continous maintenance.

> > That's one of the major reasons why Free/Open Source solutions
> > are becoming more and more popular.
>
> Ah, let me guess - you're an "Open Source Advocate" aren't you?
>
> ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Why would you think... DOH! ;-)

Let's just say I've been burned a few times too many by dead
proprietary products, products that fail to do the job only because
modifications are impossible and/or illegal, and stuff like that. I
don't like the idea of depending on stuff I can't control.

> Damn, $300 a year for Red Hat Enterprise?  I thought it was free!!!

Well, it is, except for any proprietary software they might have
thrown in. What you're paying for is pressed CDs, printed
documentation, and most importantly, support. If you only need the
Free software, you can just download it or get it on CDs from
somewhere else.

Can you get Windows at a lower price, if you don't need support and
stuff...? ;-)