[linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 28 21:18:51 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki hat gesagt: // Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> are you familiar with the tracker paradigm? I've not used it, but I
> think you create a .mod that contains both the sounds and the
> instructions for when and how to play them. If I understand correctly
> this format was born in the gaming world.

Well, it was used in games a lot, but was it born there? I don't know.
Still, tracked music still lives on in a lot of Gameboy Advance games.

fluidsynth (www.fluidsynth.org) however was born for allowing midi
playback in games, for sure. when it was still called iiwu. See
http://www.iiwu.org/

fluidsynth is easy to embed in other software. It does require
instrument files, though (SF2) but those can be very small. (Not small
enough for a GBA probably, but still...) And you can use it for sound
effects as well.

ciao