[linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 31 18:05:24 UTC 2004

The label "drclaw at dogsolitude.org" hathe been affixed to this message,
>On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:12:17PM -0600, RTaylor wrote:
>> The label "drclaw at dogsolitude.org" hathe been affixed to this message,

>> >I would have to completely disagree.  It isn't that one is "better" than
>> >the other, they both have pluses and minuses.  At a certain level,
>>
>>  ...His songs, guy.
>
>I was just attempting to point out that the formats themselves do not
>constrain the ability of the composer to write music in one style or
>another.  You could write a piece with an acceptable piano simulation

 .mod seems a bit limiting to me... If your samples are too large they drag a
bit, files get huge, etc. I don't think I've actually played one since about
1994 or so though and that was on my 486/25. :} I could very well be mistaken.

 You're pretty much stuck with a tracker to play or compose in as well, no? It
might be nice if mods were implemented as an actual, portable form of midi
though...

 {like if you could export them from your sequencer with imbedded .wav
files.}

 :} My point was that they're his songs... he knows how he likes them.

>in either format.  What constrains the composer is the amount of support
>for "piano" sounds he could find related to these formats.  If this was
>a commercial project, I could think of numerous commercial MIDI synths
>that have decent piano simulations, the problem is that I personally
>haven't heard any good piano simulations of the free software variety,
>and plugging in your own piano sounds is just as easy with a tracked
>song as with a MIDI song.

 You can use the same sound fonts or instruments in either system.

This is excellent.
http://www.personalcopy.com/sfarkfonts1.htm

 These are the companies that made the samples that shipped with sonar.
Many of them are excellent as well: They're just .wav files... :} pretty much
cross-platform.

www.aka-online.de
www.backintimerecords.de
www.boldersounds.com
www.ericvonbayer.us
www.handheldsound.com
www.manytone.com
 www.maz-sound.com
www.prosoundbank.com
--
 See these tears so blue. An ageless heart that can never mend.
 Tears can never dry. A judgement made can never bend.