[linux-audio-dev] softwerk moves on

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jul 16 01:08:24 UTC 2004

>On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 20:24, Paul Davis wrote:
>> >Seems to work for every other project out there... I'm sure you have
>>
>> which c++ projects are you referring to?
>
>I don't know.  I will say for certain that not every single GNU/Linux
>C++ project out there bundles gtkmm and friends with it.

the problem with gtkmm and sigc++ is that they are not part of many
(most?) distributions. as a result, the way they were built is
basically unknown. did the user do it? did they get it from freshrpms?
thac? some slack source?

once they are both bundled with most distributions, the uncertainty
over the build technique will be gone, and i'll feel comfortable using
the system ones. the situation for Qt, for example, which is also C++,
is quite different: it is installed as a standard on almost every
distribution.

>Since ardour is aiming to be a "professional" DAW, it probably is a
>really good idea to bundle everything up in one nice package and say
>"here, THIS works solidly" even if it is a little too reminiscent of DLL
>hell

ardour installs no shared libs, specifically to avoid this. it links
statically against its internal libraries, just like softwerk does.

--p