[linux-audio-dev] Patches to compile MidiShare on kernel 2.6

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sun Jul 25 23:03:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

I finally felt the urge to get MidiShare to work on my new SuSE 9.1
system; attached are the patches I was able to come up with (against
midishare cvs from 2 or 3 days ago). I hope that these work on other
kernel 2.6 based systems, too, but I've not tested this, so any feedback
is appreciated.

The main changes are in the build system (kernel 2.6 uses a different
procedure to build kernel modules; I used some kludges to make the
MidiShare module build the recommended way, if anyone can make this any
prettier please let me know ;-), and in the scheduling of the timer task
in the MidiShare kernel module -- queue_task() and the timer queue are
no more, I used add_timer() and friends instead. Also, the module name
is now "midishare.ko", as the new build system doesn't let you build a
module whose name is the same as one of its constituent parts (i.e.,
MidiShare.o).

I've tested this stuff under SuSE 9.1 with SuSE's 2.6.4 kernel, and so
far it seems to work ok. I'll also make SuSE 9.1 and source rpms
available on q-lang.sf.net in the course of the next few days. If anyone
needs to have those immediately, just email me.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag