[linux-audio-dev] Project ideas?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Jun 9 09:23:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:02:22 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote
> There's a /lot/ more information available in a MIDI performance, so
> the potential to do interesting things is greater.  Flash the screen
> whenever the kick drum goes, have notes represented on screen as 3D
> objects using frequency for location, filter cutoff controlling
> lighting, blah blah etc. etc.

I think it depends entirely what you want to do, sometimes midi is sufficient
- but sometimes you want visuals that respond to the quality of the sounds
too. There is something really cool about making visuals with your voice for
instance :)

> I'm really surprised I havn't seen GEM used to do more things like that
> (or maybe I just can't find it).  The potential for the system is
> amazing...

Yeah - I want to see more gem work - and hear more pd generated music come to
think of it.

dave